2016 European Go Yearbook
Harry van der Krogt
For the first time in the history of European go, the European Go Federation has published a yearbook.
The book was compiled and written by Dutch go player Kim Ouweleen 4 dan and counts 576 pages. It covers all the major happenings in the European go scene of 2016, featuring:
- Statistics of European Go in 2016.
- Interviews with newly promoted professionals Artem Kachanovskyi 1p and Antti Törmänen 1p.
- An extensive catalogue of all the National Championships in Europe, including reports on Main Championships, Women's Championships and Youth Championships, accompanied by personal interviews with the champions.
- Tournaments in Asia, highlighting the achievements of European players in Asian invitational tournaments and the World Amateur Championships.
- Reports and beautiful photos of Major European Tournaments and Events, such as the 60th Polymetal European Go Congress, the 2nd European Go Grand Slam and the 3rd European Professional Qualification.
- An in-depth chapter of 80 pages on AlphaGo and the Rise of Artificial Intelligence in Go, with game commentaries by Fan Hui 2p, Gu Li 9p, Zhou Ruiyang 9p and Myungwan Kim 9p.
- Many game records and commentaries by top European players, including:
- Yoon Young Sun 8p (South Korea / Germany)
- Guo Juan 5p (China / The Netherlands)
- Cătălin Țăranu 5p (Romania)
- Alexandre Dinerchtein 3p (Russia)
- Svetlana Shikshina 3p (Russia)
- Fan Hui 2p (China / France)
- Diána Kőszegi 1p (Hungary)
- Ali Jabarin 1p (Israel)
- Pavol Lisý 1p (Slovakia)
- Artem Kachanovskyi 1p (Ukraine)
- Ilya Shikshin 1p (Russia)
- Mateusz Surma 1p (Poland)
- Antti Törmänen 1p (Finland)
- Junfu Dai 8d (China / France)
- Lukáš Podpěra 7d (Czech Republic)
- Cristian Pop 7d (Romania)
- Cornel Burzo 6d (Romania)
- Merlijn Kuin 6d (The Netherlands)
- Tanguy Le Calvé 6d (France)
- Viktor Lin 6d (Austria)
- Matthew Macfadyen 6d (United Kingdom)
The yearbook costs €50 and is for sale on the official website of the EGF.
It has a circulation of 750 copies, which are stored in the European Go Cultural Centre in Amstelveen.
Here you can read an interview with the author.
Check out the Full News Listing.